Thursday, March 7, 2013

Healthy Strawberry - Blueberry Muffins


If you've read any of my other posts – you know my love for Greek Yogurt already! Well today, after sorting through mountains of laundry I was rooting around the refrigerator looking for snack options for the kiddo for this afternoon. An innocent container of strawberries and a lonely container of blueberries were staring me in the face. They were right next to the giant container of Greek Yogurt.

I rooted through the cupboards next and pulled out some ingredients to make muffins. What I came up with turned out amazing!

Healthy Strawberry – Blueberry muffins


Here's the batter - before baking


Here’s what you’ll need:
2 – Muffin tins (regular sized)
1 medium sized mixing bowl
1 - 4 cup glass measuring cup
Spatula

Ingredients:
2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain, fat free Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon ground Flax Seed
3/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup diced, fresh strawberries
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 Tablespoon brown sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until combined.

In a 4 cup glass measuring cup combine Greek Yogurt, Flax Seed, egg substitute, water, and honey. Mix until combined and smooth.



Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. The batter will be lumpy. Add in the strawberries and blueberries and stir gently.



Line 20 muffin cups with liners and fill each 3/4's full with batter. Use the 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar and sprinkle over batter in each cup.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove from muffin tin and let cool on wire rack.  Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.



Please let me know what you think if you try these! I’m waiting for the kiddo to get home from school so I can test them out on him. Then husband will be a guinea pig when he gets home tonight! I ate one after lunch and thought they were delish! Hope you enjoy!

I also have to give some props to Pampered Chef and their awesome straining/measuring cup! I used it for the berries and it is the most amazing thing! Check it out below! It has slots so the water will drain after you rinse your fruit or veggies! 



I have plans to do an organizing project this weekend! Hopefully I’ll be able to post about that next week sometime if all goes as planned!

Don't forget to connect with me on PinterestTwitter, and Facebook!

I'm not sure what the deal is with the baby hedgehogs all over the internet lately, but I have to admit they are cute! So I had to leave you with this! 


Ciao for now bellas!

(Click on the 'Magic' button below for a printable version!)

No comments:

Post a Comment